Thursday, July 14, 2011

Will I qualify for loans forgiveness if my fiance defaults on his student loans?

I am in school right now for teaching and plan on a career in early childhood ed. My fiance proposed and we plan on marrying next year. The other day I found out his loan may be in default (they took a payment out of his checking account). He has not paid his student loans and has been out of school for a year and a half. My question is how will this affect me when we marry? I heard that once defaulted, he cannot receive employment at a federal level. Does this mean that by joining in a union, I am automatically responsible for his defaulted loans? If I am faithful to my loan payments, will this block me as an employee or my ability to receive loan forgiveness after 10 years of service to the public?

No comments:

Post a Comment